Furniture Repair and Donation in Austin
“A used piece of furniture can be a fabulous find. But years’ worth of stains, scratches, and cracks can dampen your enthusiasm for it. Fortunately, used furniture can be cleaned up and restored with a few inexpensive items from your local home improvement store.”
Source: Wikihow Staff
Make old new again. This furniture repair! Often in our disposable society, we find ourselves throwing away functional items. A great example of this is furniture. Furniture oftentimes suffers from being displaced. Rather than throwing away quality furniture here are a few things to consider.
- Hardware: Sometimes the simple things make a big difference. If your look has changed from gold to black, changing the hardware on a cabinet can give it a completely different look!
- Upholstery: Old chairs and sofas become soiled over time. Kids spills, pets jumping up and time takes their toll on fabric. That doesn’t mean that the sofa or chair is dead, it may just need a little TLC.
“Whether you have a well-loved piece of furniture at home with upholstery in bad shape, or you’ve got a thrift piece of furniture for a great price but not-so-great style, you can completely change the look up your furniture through reupholstering.”
Source: How to Reupholster Furniture
- Paint: One way to make old furniture new again is to apply a paint color that is in fashion. You may need to sand and seal the furniture and it may take a bit of time, but by using paint, you can save thousands of dollars on buying new furniture
Furniture Removal on Your Time 512-808-7723
Sometimes. however, your living conditions change, and your furniture doesn’t fit the new footprint of your living area. What can you do then? Here are a couple of ideas.
- Sell: There are many apps online like Letgo or Offer Up that allows you to set up an account and sell your items online. Others use Craigslist. As with any online program you must be careful having strangers meet you or enter your home. It is important to have someone else in your home and let people know you have someone coming to your home. If possible, put the item right outside your door or right at your door an meet the person outside your home. Always deal in case or money transfer programs like Venmo.
- Donate: Paying it forward is always a great feeling! There are a number of great donation partners in Austin. Some of the bigger partners that pick up furniture are:
- Use a professional furniture removal company. Sometimes having strangers come to your home isn’t comfortable. That is understandable. Also, having a donation partner stop by your home isn’t always ideal. You need to be available when they can stop by and it is important that the furniture is on the first floor near the door or in the garage. If not, the charity group may not be able to take your furniture leaving you where you started! An alternative for many is to use a trusted furniture and junk removal company.
Let the pros do the heavy lifting
- Some of these organizations will come to your home for a fee and professionally remove your unwanted furniture. Be sure to ask if their employees are background checked and insured. That way, you feel safe having these folks in your home. Also ask if they will try to donate, recycle or repurpose your times. It is a good idea to ask if they provide you with a donation receipt for items removed.
As you can see, there are many different options available to you for dealing with your dated furniture. Consider furniture repair, sell, it, donate it, or recycle it but please don’t send usable items to the landfill. The Austin landfill is filling up quickly. Not only is someone not benefitting from your furniture, sending it to the dump is a waste!